So you’re feeling inspired from the yogis on Instagram and you’re ready to take on a class for yourself. Or, maybe you’re a regular on the mat and are looking to up your game. Either way, there’s always room for growth. Make time in your practice for these tips straight from our experts in the yoga room!
- Be mindful of your breath. Remember that at the center of every yoga practice is a mindful breath. Find evenness, fire up the breath to warm your body or make exhales longer to settle your nervous system. Inhale to find length, exhale to soften and deepen poses and stretches. Your breath drives the movement, not the other way around!
- Don’t skip savasana. It’s important to take those moments at the end of your yoga class to be still and honor your body and the work it did for the past 40 minutes. Settle into savasana and say goodbye to any lasting tension and recenter yourself before walking out of the door. Even if you haven’t yet discovered the beauty of savasana, an early exit can disturb the peace for your fellow yogis.
- Avoid overextending yourself (literally). It can be tempting to push your body to try a difficult pose or reach new heights in your extensions, and it’s always a wonderful thing to improve, but don’t overextend yourself. Listen to what your body is telling you – if the pose or stretch is painful or you feel tension in places you’re not attempting to work, ease up and try a more slow, methodical approach. It’s okay to not get it perfect the first, second, or third time.
- Embrace balance. A poweryoga class isn’t the only way to have an effective practice. Sometimes, what your mind and body needs is a slow-flowing, meditative practice. Examine your week ahead and aim for a balance in your workouts and in your yoga practice.
- Accept that there’s no judgement. The mat should be a place for you to come and let go, not stress out. Be okay with where you are in your yoga journey. Remember that you DO NOT have to be flexible or super strong to do yoga. Yoga is about you finding the relationship between mind and body and how you can use them together to gain flexibility, strength and peace of mind.
Every yogi has to start somewhere. Embrace change and get uncomfortable by working a new angle in your practice or dropping into a yoga class for the first time. Come flow with us this fall at one of the following times:
Monday | 11:45AM flyyoga | Sydnei
Tuesday | 7:45PM candlelight yoga | Wendy
Wednesday | 6:30AM flyflow | Wendy
Wednesday | 11:45AM flyyoga | Sydnei
Wednesday | 7PM hot flyyoga | Sydnei
Thursday| 7:45PM candlelight yoga | Wendy
Friday | 11:45AM flyyoga | Sydnei
Saturday | 11AM hot flyyoga | Sydnei
Sunday | 11AM flyyoga | Wendy