25 Things to Do in Lincoln, Nebraska (Summer Edition)
- By Morgan Horton
- July 13, 2018
Lincoln is our home. We’ve spent the last three years living and loving life here and the community we’re lucky enough to be a part of. Just as it’s easy to fall into a workout rut, it can be easy to forget all of the amazing events and businesses to experience every summer in Lincoln. We’ve compiled a list of 25 of our favorite things to do in Lincoln, Nebraska in the summer. Did we miss one that you love? Comment below – we love a new adventure.
- Grab a farm-to-table brunch at the Hub Café. Look out over the Antelope Valley development an enjoy locally sourced ingredients in iconic brunch dishes.
- Get a flight of ice cream at 402 Creamery. This Haymarket newcomer serves up unique flavors in a flight so you don’t have to choose.
- Catch a free community workout in Tower Square at 9AM. Join Fly as we host a free community workout every other Saturday this summer. Check out our full event listing on MindBody.
- Browse one of the many farmer’s markets. Depending on the day of the week, there’s several amazing farmer’s markets available in Lincoln. We’re partial to the one in our neck of the woods in the Haymarket. What’s better than an iced coffee and freshly baked bread after 9AM cycling?
- Bike between brewing companies. With the new city bikes available to rent in downtown Lincoln, you can easily try out the bike lanes and visit Code Beer Brewing Co, Green Flash, the Boiler Room, Lazlo’s and more.
- Listen to live music in Robber’s Cave. From live music to cave tours, Blue Blood Brewing steps up the event game in an underground cave that the brewery sits atop of.
- Tour the Capitol building. It’s easy to drive past the Capitol and never take the time to step in and admire the architecture. Tours are available on the hour every day of the week.
- Be a carnivore at the annual ribfest. With entertainment, a huge selection of BBQ ribs and more, Ribfest is always a hit, catch it the weekend of August 16!
- Make a date for First Friday art walks. Admire local art in multiple locations downtown, usually with beverages and finger food as well!
- Picnic at the Sunken Gardens. For plant lovers and the casual admirer, this sanctuary is right off of 27th Street and Capitol Parkway. Pack a picnic ahead of time and sit by the fish swimming amongst lily pads.
- Go for a sunrise jog around Holmes Lake. Take in the views while you jog around the beautiful landscape in East Lincoln.
- Play a game of rooftop bags at Barry’s. Yard games and a rooftop view. What’s not to love about the Nebraska Bar?
- Take in art (for free) at the Sheldon. Admire the Sheldon’s rotating collections at the cost of an at-will donation. The building itself is a work of art, so don’t miss out on this unique Lincoln experience.
- Rave at the DJ ride in Tower Square with Fly. A live DJ, the light of Tower Square and 34 cycle bikes is a recipe for a good time. Reserve your bike on MindBody.
- Hit a home run at a Saltdogs game. On Wednesdays you can join in on Buck Night for some dollar deals and America’s favorite pastime.
- Listen to some smooth jazz in Tower Square. Every Tuesday evening in the summer, you can enjoy jazz from 7PM – 9PM across from Fly!
- Take a cooking class at Art & Soul. Learn new skills and meet new people in the beautiful Art & Soul space. Find a style and date you’re interested in on their website.
- Rent a paddleboard on campus and get on the water at Branched Oak. Rent equipment at the rec and get floating.
- Enjoy a style of cooking you’ve never tried. Need inspiration? Lincoln has Ethiopian at Ajora Falls, Korean at Korea House, Brazilian at Rodizio Grill, French at The Normandy, and Salvadorian at Tia Letty’s to name a few.
- Get your coffee fix. Hit up the tried and true Lincoln favorites, The CoffeeHouse, The Mill, and Cultiva or try something new. We love the nearby locals Method, One Line Coffee, Meadowlark, and Crescent Moon.
- Hone your golf skills at Wilderness Ridge. Get outside and enjoy some sunshine and golf swings. Find tee times and more here.
- Ease into a peaceful sleep with candlelight yoga Wednesdays at 7PM. Join us each week for a candlelit yoga class that connects you to your breath and helps you deeply stretch and meditate in a class format unique to Fly.
- Make your own grill-fired homemade pizza. If you don’t have a grill of your own, check out recreation areas and make a grill-fired pizza. Invite some of your favorite people and make it a party.
- Build your own acai bowl. Need some inspo? See our girl @erinstanczyk on Instagram for drool-worthy smoothie bowls.
- Take a sip at a nearby winery. It’s an easy drive to some incredible local vineyards. Within a 30-minute jaunt, you can enjoy Junto in Seward, James Arthur in Raymond, Glacial Till Tasting Room in Ashland or Deer Springs winery in east Lincoln.
Be a tourist in your own city and share what you love about Lincoln in the summer with us below!