4 Ways to Beat the Workout Slump
- By Dr. Jenni Bruning Brown
- September 23, 2017
Tailgate season is here and you’ve been grinding all summer on your workouts. The tailgate grill is cheering you on and the whisper of the gym is feeling more faint. As sweater season creeps around the corner and fall TV finds its way back into your queue, the workout slump settles in. Step 1 to beating it: recognition. You’re in a slump. You drag your feet to the gym and find yourself skipping classes because you’re just not feeling it. It’s not realistic to expect 100% enthusiasm always, but know that your commitment to wellness is paying off in big and little ways every time you show up. We’ve got our top 4 ways to beat the workout slump to help you reignite your fire for the fall.
- Shake it up. Cycling enough miles in spin class to get you to Australia isn’t going to beat the slump. Change up your workout class and try something outside of your comfort zone, like a flyphysique (barre) class or a hot flyyoga session. Maybe your workouts are already varied, but you hit up the same instructor at the same time week after week. Mix it up for a breath of fresh air and kick that motivation back into gear.
- Enlist a workout buddy. We’ve already talked about the benefits of getting your #squad to help you stay motivated. If you haven’t made the ask, now is the time! Swap one of your dinner dates or brewery hangouts for a workout class. You’ll feel better afterward and benefit from the glow of endorphins. Bonus: in October, we’re having #FlyFridays! That means you can bring a friend to any class each Friday in October for free.
- Evaluate your goals. So you’ve formed that positive habit and are devoted to regular workouts but you’re still feeling meh. Don’t get so lost in the routine that you lose sight of your goals. Write your fitness or health goal down in your planner, print it out and frame it, or reaffirm your commitment on your Instagram. When you remember why you’re doing it, it can reignite your fire.
- Embrace the power of swag. Okay, is it just us or do those new workout leggings have you itching to rock out a HIIT workout? Sometimes it takes some fresh workout duds and a little reward for yourself to make you want to get back in that mirrored yoga room. Find some sweet deals online, or shop our boutique for lululemon, Alo yoga, S’well, onzie, and other brands.
Stay committed and stoke your determination. Your goals are calling your name.