4 Ways to Stay Motivated in Your Summer Fitness Routine
- By Dr. Jenni Bruning Brown
- May 3, 2017
The temps are rising and, yes, the sun seems a little stronger. Are you having a harder time getting motivated to sweat it out in the summer months? To keep that inner fire burning even when the last thing you’re thinking about is your Saturday sweat sesh, we’ve come up with 4 great ways to help you stay motivated in your summer fitness routine.
- Mix some play or outdoor adventure into your routine. Run or walk on a new trail, kayak on the lake, do some strength training in the sun, or take your yoga flow outside. This keeps your routine fun, playful and fills those lungs with fresh air. Shaking up your routine is good for your mind, body and your soul.
- Infuse summer into your hydration. One of the best things about summer is the perfect ripeness of berries! Treat yourself during your workout by hydrating with some fruit-infused water. Slice up your favorite fruits and drop them in your water bottle or try out one of these cool containers that does it for you. Just having this with you will make you feel cooler inside and out!
- Get fit with a friend. Let’s face it, it’s a little easier to hit the gym when you have a friend working out alongside you. Challenge each other by sticking to a workout routine or joining a program that will keep you moving daily and help you push your limits. Research shows that having a workout buddy can help you stick to your routine and that you work harder when you’re there.
- Rise (before the temperature does) and shine. You know yourself – don’t push a 5-miler in 90 degree-weather if you’re a cool weather runner. In that case, get your sweat session in before the sun gets too high. If you thrive in the sunshine, use that as a motivator to catch some rays while you fit your workout in.
Whether you’re a sun worshipper and ready for an outdoor fitness adventure or a devotee to your air conditioned gym, summer is a great time to celebrate your strength and keep building. Make a commitment today to push yourself this summer, outside and at the gym. Whatever your workout plan, get out there, and keep feelin’ fly!