5 Easy Ways to Reach Your Goals
- By Dr. Jenni Bruning Brown
- December 22, 2017
Do you want more?
Most of us want more out of our lives—we want to be more fulfilled, happier, to achieve more or to be more successful in whatever it is we do. Human nature is to keep searching for something greater—in our relationships, professionally, spiritually and emotionally. Often, we just don’t know what we need to do to make these things happen.
All we need to do is make simple, small changes to transform our lives. In every area of our lives, as long as we are looking to improve, focusing on what we want and taking small steps with sustained effort, we can have more of what we are looking for, says Dr. Jenni Bruning Brown.
“Setting a few small, focused goals can result in big changes,” she says.
Follow these 5 steps to get started setting small goals into 2018.
- Start by asking yourself important questions. Figure out what your current life situation looks like, versus what you’d like it to be. Ask how you’re spending your time and whether the time you spend is consistent with your ideal life. Be open, honest and real with yourself about what you need, what you really want and why.
- Set one realistic, achievable goal. Do it now. If it’s time with family, perhaps a small goal could be adding 15 or 30 minutes of quality time with your child reading together for the next 2 weeks. If it’s exercise, you might add a 15-minute walk during your lunch hour at work. Each goal should start with a one- to two-week period. Start with something achievable, measurable and reasonable. Make sure it is something that feels like it’s doable.
- Tell someone. Tell a friend, partner, spouse, neighbor or email it to commit to doing it for 2 weeks. Then at the end of 2 weeks, you can re-commit and perhaps, add on to your goal if it’s going well. This simple act of talking about it helps you to commit and makes you more accountable and more likely to succeed.
- Do something to move toward your goal. Do anything. Taking a step will make you feel more accomplished and will move you closer than just talking about it. Once you take that initial step, it gets easier and easier until it’s second nature.
- Keep going. Remember that obstacles will arise and that consistent success is not guaranteed. Be confident that you will succeed, and have patience and ride the waves if there are pitfalls. Jenni says that success isn’t the lack of failure but one’s ability to rise after falling. You will do this!
Wanting more for yourself is a natural impulse. Rising to achieve those goals is not always as natural. It takes real commitment. Commitment to your vision, to grinding through obstacles, to taking steps every single day that get you closer.
In January, we’re creating a 21-day challenge to help you set and achieve your goals. From a custom journal to record your progress, to seminars and workshops and access to an exclusive support group, we’ll spend 21 days together helping you reach your goals.
Set a tone of persistence and success in 2018 by joining our 21-day challenge. The challenge is called 2018 NEW YEAR: NEW YOU and costs just $20 to join. Don’t just set goals – reach them.